Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Smash Direct



Just some quick thoughts about the Super Smash Brothers Direct.
First of all. It was great! I'm seriously hyped for this game. For both versions. And that already brings me to the main point of this post. You can read the actual news and announcements for Characters, Stages, Items and so on on other sites, but I will talk about the separate release dates for both versions and why this is a good thing.

So the 3DS Version of Smash Bros will be released in Summer, while the Wii-U Version will launch in Winter. And of course the Internet is all over this, although the negativity is far less than I would have anticipated. Many say that Nintendo is cannibalizing the sales of the Wii-U Version with that move.

I say it's the opposite. Releasing the 3DS and the Wii-U Version at the same time would have been sales cannibalization. They would have to compete against each other, while the release we have now gives both versions enough room to breathe. I think many people will get the 3DS and the Wii-U Version and I see the 3DS game as kind of an appetizer (While still being a full fledged game of course). Also a winter release will surely give the Wii-U a good push during the holidays.

Now this assumption only works if the Wii-U Version has some extra content. Of course the core of the game will be the same, but like the 3DS Version, which gets the Smash run exclusive, the Wii-U Game needs some unique selling point.
Call me optimistic, but I think that's exactly what they're going to do in the time between 3DS and Wii-U release. They will work on some extra mode. Probably some single player. It only makes sense. They can't change the characters, trophys and items after the release of the 3DS Version and it would increase the appeal of the Wii-U game and encourage buying both versions.

So I expect Nintendo to release some infos on Wii-U specific modes and extras at E3.

Also yeah for Zero Suit Samus.



Ps.: Let's start a petition to rename the for Glory mode into ''Final Destination, No Items, Fox only''
...and yes I know that this joke has been told probably a million times in the last hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment