Friday, April 17, 2015

Women in Games: Bayonetta


Who wants to talk about women in games?

So Anita Sarkeesian released a new video some time ago. It's not part of her Tropes vs Women in Videogame series, which is two years overdue and still only halfway done, but instead it focuses on positive examples of females in video games. And her selection is... interesting. Sword and Sorcery is a retro styled indie game. I haven't played it so I can't say anything about it's quality, but I don't think it is a good example. To put it simple, a good female character can't have a character. Because that's what the main protagonist of the game is. It has no characterization. While this may be one way to approach a game, it isn't the one I prefer. Yes I'm a person who puts Gameplay above Story, but if I get a Story, I'd rather have a good and engaging one. Now this can also be achieved with a blank character, but it limits the possibilities. Men and Women can achieve the same things, but there are a lot of differences between the two genders. I simply would have preferred if a female protagonist with an actual character would have gotten the spotlight. Oh and to make things clear. I think this topic is interesting and worth a discussion. That's why I'm not a friend of Anitas way of approaching this topic and that's why I'm not a fan of every gaming outlet hanging on her every word. This topic deserves better.

But let's get to the main point of this post. Bayonetta. She's a great female character leading two great games. And I don't have the slightest problem with her sexual presentation. Because it's not sexist. But why don't I see this as sexist?


Because it fits Bayonetta. Everything about how she is portrayed and how we get to know her, tells us that she is a sexual person. Now if you think that her character is sexist then, I can't argue against that, but with that viewpoint you just say that sexuality is bad. Showing your sexuality and enjoying it is bad. And I don't agree with that. Bayonetta is portrayed as a strong, capable women, who just enjoys her sexuality. And I don't see a problem with that. It also doesn't matter, who designed her (it was a women by the way), but how her character interacts with the story and the gameplay. And in that regard there isn't any contradiction. Of course she could approach everything more toned back, but why should she?

Some people may argue that she was solely designed for males to enjoy, but I think that is the wrong way of approaching this. It certainly applies to many characters in videogames that they are designed to be eye pleasing, but whats wrong with that. Bayonetta was designed as a strong, capable women, who enjoys her sexuality and everything in the game is a consequence of this. And of course she is eye pleasing. Just like nearly every other protagonist in mass media. We like to see beautiful people and why should that be wrong?

Now if you think this is a problem, then I truly pity you, because you live in a society, which must make you puke every second. And Bayonetta should be your last worry.

I guess what I want to say with this post is that there is nothing wrong with fanservice and the portrayal of sexy women. If it fits with the story, game and characters. A girl, which is portrayed as rather shy and shut in, wouldn't work with skimpy clothing. Of course there is lots of that in media, but here I agree with critics. That is just dumb fanservice. Fanservice done right is, again, Bayonetta. Because it enhances her character, instead of degrade it. It doesn't seem out of character for her. And once again I can just say, that if you have a problem with this, then I guess you have a problem with sexuality in general. A strong confident women has many layers. She can kick ass and still be fashionable. She can be strong and still enjoy showing of her body and her sexuality. She can save the world, but still have flaws.

Everything in Bayonetta is over the top. The Action. The Scenery. And also the Sexuality.
I see nothing wrong with that. By making every women character a projection of all women, we severely limit the potential of a whole gender. The actions and portrayal of one women should never represent all. Especially when she is just a videogame character. Not all women are heroes. Some are villians. Some are cowards. Some enjoy their sexuality and some don't. They are straight, lesbian, transgender... They are diverse. But by trying to fit every character into the small window that some people deem to be acceptable, we don't do this industry any service.

And for that I hope that we continue to get awesome female characters like Kinzie Kensington (Saints Row), Bayonetta, Rosalina(Super Mario Galaxy), Samus(Metroid except Other M), Jade (Beyond Good and Evil), Seiren (The Last Story), Jill Valentine, (Resident Evil), Sylvia Kristel (No More Heroes), and many more.

So what's your thoughts on this topic? Let me know.

And as always

thanks for reading

Source of all pictures: Nintendo

No comments:

Post a Comment