Monday, August 22, 2016

My Top 5 Zelda Games

When someone decides to make a Toplist involving Nintendo one of the first things that comes to mind is The Legend of Zelda. Next to Mario no other Gaming IP has as much Prestige. Zelda games always rank among the best games of the year and are always considered game of the year material. Well except the CDI games, but I don't think I need to elaborate on why that is the case.

Source: Link: The Faces of Evil

Zelda is just a natural pic for Toplists because of its rich history and countless different areas to choose from. Top 5 Dungeons, Items, Enemies, Bosses, Zeldas, etc.
All of that has been done already of course, so today I don't want to wow you with a never before seen Toplist, but instead you get the father of all toplists. My top 5 favourite Zelda Titles.


5: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time



We start with the best Videogame of all time and it's only Number 5. This shouldn't be too surprising. I think I've never seen a favorite Zelda Game list, which was topped by Ocarina of Time. Widely considered to be the best game of all time it has lost quite some standing over the last couple of years. Especially inside the Zelda community. Still it can't be denied, that this game was and is still groundbreaking. It defined how games of this genre have to look and work. And over a decade later it still draws you into it's world.

Ocarina of Time is a classic story of heroism. A young boy, who becomes the legendary hero, who saves Hyrule. It's easy to relate to. Coupled with some of the best dungeons of all time (and one of the worst), memorable characters and a great soundtrack this makes Ocarina of Time definitely a worthy candidate for any toplist. The excellent 3DS remake also reinvigorated this status.

Ocarina of Times iconic status was both a blessing and a curse for the Zelda series. For countless years the team tried to recreate the success of Ocarina, without giving any thought to moving forward.

In the end Ocarina of Time is a timeless classic that shaped an entire genre. I rediscovered it on the 3DS and it clearly deserves the spot as best game of all time. For me, however, it's only the fifth best Zelda game.


4: The Legend of Zelda: A Link between Worlds



When this game was announced I wasn't too sure about it's premise. A direct successor to A Link to the Past? Twilight Princes was conceptualized as successor to Ocarina of Time and I often had the feeling that this fact hindered the game development more than it did help. But when I finally put down my 3DS after playing through A Link between Worlds without break, took a quick shower and than immediately started the game again in Hero Mode, I knew how wrong I had been. In my opinion this even beets the timeless Link to the Past. It's just that good.

The item lending idea could have been done a little better, but the ability to approach the game in many different ways, that resulted from that, was not only a breath of fresh air for the series, but a gust of wind that blew away all doubts. Zelda and an open concept of game design, that let's the player choose how to approach a situation, go hand in hand. I'm happy they used a handheld title as test grounds for that concept. The smaller and more focused world was perfect for it.

Even the, at first glance, boring mechanic where Link turns into a Painting on the Wall to move through cracks and so forth, was really well done and felt fresh and engaging. All in all A Link between Worlds was more than a worthy successor to A Link to the Past. In my opinion it even surpassed it. Just a great game from start to finish and one of the best Handheld Zeldas without a doubt.


3: Majoras Mask



In the last couple of years Majoras Mask seems to have taken Ocarina of Times places as favourite Zelda games for many. And even I have to admit, if I looked at this list with objectivity Majoras Mask would have been Number 1. But the two top picks have a strong personal meaning to me and so the N64 gem is only awarded with bronze.

I first played this game, when the 3DS remake was released. Yes I know it's an eternal stain on my reputation as a Nintendo Fan, but in my youth I simply didn't own a Nintendo 64. But that is a story for another time. Fact is that Majoras Mask is still the most unique Zelda game of all time and the one with most engaging world. I talked about it once, when I wrote about Majoras Mask after beating it for the first time (You can read this here, if you're interested). The three day cycle is one of the most genius game mechanics of all time because it allows the player to fail and see what the consequences are. There are a lot of world ending threats in video games, but I've never felt the stakes to be higher than in the first night at Romani Ranch while protecting the barn. Just because I saw what happens to Romani should I fail. Seeing the cheerful young girl go from this

Source: The Legend of Zelda: Majoras Mask

to this, made me do this side quest on every three day cycle.

Soruce: The Legend of Zelda: Majoras Mask

The three day cycle also allowed Nintendo to craft a truly believable world. Even to this day Termina is one of the most ''alive'' video game worlds out there. Nearly every Character feels alive. Normally the fact that all of activities are scripted would be an immersion killer, but here it's the complete opposite. You only see the same three days in the peoples lives over and over again. This allows for a variety of actions, while in other games most NPCs have one mundane action, which they perform day in and out.

Also the fact that this is by far the darkest Zelda adds to Majoras Mask uniqueness. Yes Twilight Princess also had some dark moments and the style was overall darker, but no other game in the series has dealt with such heavy themes as Majoras Mask. And really well at that. The horror of realizing the World is going to end. The ignorance of the impending doom. Acceptance... everything was portrayed really well by the characters. I wrote enough about this in last weeks toplist, so check it out if you want.

The great atmosphere even makes you forget that the game is severely lacking in dungeons, but still Majoras Mask deserves it's spot on any Zelda Toplist. Wherever that spot may be.


2: The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening


Source: The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening DX

Everyone has fond memories of their first Zelda. It doesn't matter if it was the legendary first game, the groundbreaking A Link to the Past or the genre defining Ocarina of Time.
My first Zelda game was one of the more odd ones. The first Handheld Zelda for the original GameBoy which proved that Nintendo are programming wizards. Packing such a, for the time, huge world packed full with Sidquests, Dungeons and Monsters onto such a small module is nothing short of amazing.

Something that I really love about this game is how unique it is. Koholint Island is packed with references to other Nintendo games. Gumbas and Womps make an appearance as enemies, Tarin looks like Mario and even a picture of Princess Peach appears during the game. I also like the raunchy humor the game often has. The legendary scene, where Link has to bring back the lost bikini top of a mermaid, still makes me laugh to this day. If you dive in front of her, before bringing her the tops, she quickly swims away and calls you a pervert. 
Or just take a look at this picture from the photo sidequest. 

Source: The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening

Gameplay wise there is nothing to complain about. The dungeons are great, the controls feel responsive and the variety is gigantic for a Gameboy game.

Links Awakening is often overlooked by Zelda Fans, which is a damn shame, because it's a great entry in the series and has a very unique setting and story. If it wasn't my first Zelda game I wouldn't rank it quite as high, but as it stands it's a very deserving second place for The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening.


1: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker



Oh boy. When I first saw a test for Wind Waker in an old German gaming magazine I immediately fell in love with the game. I started saving up money, doing small jobs, and then after several months I finally was able to by a limited Nintendo Gamecube with game. It was the first time I worked for something I wanted and to this day I bring out the game from time to time, hook up my old Gamecube and play through it.

Wind Waker is just a timeless classic. I know I've said that pretty often during this toplist, and it's a fact that most Zelda games deserve this title, but Wind Waker even more so than others. Wind Wakers graphics are truly timeless. Even to this day the game looks excellent. Links countless facial animations make the character feel more alive than any other incarnation of our Hero.

Source: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

The World is huge and the Ocean feels endless from time to time, but it is filled with countless memorable sites (and just as many forgettable ones). Also this time the Story is one of the most relatable with your sister getting abducted at the start of the game.

For me Wind Waker is just pure joy. The colorful graphics, the amazing musical score and the wonderful world all work hand in hand to create one of the greatest gaming experiences I had the joy of playing through. I know that the game has some problems. The tedious Triforce Quest. The low amount of Temples and the lack of Quality in that department. The huge empty Ocean. I know all of these Problems and I agree that they are problems, but the game manages to make me forget that fact. To this day no other game creates such a warm feeling in my chest when I play it. And that is why The Legend of Zelda Wind Waker is my Number One pick.


So what are your favourite Zelda games? Do you have any fond memories of a specific game? Let me know in the comments.

And as always

thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment